Most doctors recommend drinking 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. But many people struggle to find the necessary amount of ingested water, so they use different methods to remember to maintain this healthy habit.
And putting a glass of water on the nightstand is a good reminder to take an early morning sip. However, keeping the water close to the bed may not be as beneficial as you thought.
We researched this curious topic and now we’re ready to explain to our readers why it’s better to make yourself a glass of fresh water in the morning instead of drinking a glass from your nightstand since last night.
Some Debris May End Up In Your Water
Putting water in an open glass and leaving it until morning can make you more susceptible to different types of invaders.
There is a chance that mosquitoes, flies, and other insects will end up in your glass overnight.
Some dust and other debris can also get into the water while you sleep and you may not notice it when you drink the water in the morning.
The Water May Change Its Taste
If you fill your glass with tap water, it probably contains chlorine added to disinfect it. But the chlorine will start to evaporate overnight, changing the taste of the water.
As a result, the water may taste a bit stale if you are used to drinking fresh tap water.
Your Water Turns Into A Perfect Breeding Ground For Germs
When you take a sip of water, you transfer millions of bacteria from your mouth to the glass and then into the water.
So if you decide to drink some water from that glass at night while trying to fall asleep, the germs will get in and multiply in the morning.
It’s A Potential Fire Hazard
Many people have electrical outlets or keep charging devices, such as telephones, near their bed.
Therefore, if you place a glass of water on the nightstand and accidentally drop it by hand, the water could spill out, which could cause a potential threat to electronic devices and a risk of short circuit.
Our Water Becomes Slightly More Acidic
When you leave the water in an open glass, it can absorb a small amount of carbon dioxide, slightly altering the pH balance. As a result, your water can become a bit more acidic at a lower pH level.
It does not affect your health, but it can change the taste of the water, making it less pleasant to drink.
Keeping A Glass Of Water Near Your Bed May Disrupt Your Sleep
If you constantly have a glass of water in sight, especially if you have a hard time falling asleep right away, you can start drinking water at night and increase your urge to go to the bathroom.
And doing this multiple times a night can ruin your sleep cycle, depriving you of a good night’s sleep and leaving you tired and drained in the morning.
Do you have difficulty drinking enough water during the day? What techniques do you use to stay hydrated?